Ready for an adventure with a purpose? Request info »
  • Search SEA Semester, Summer and High School Programs
SEA Currents Blog

SEA Currents: Corwith Cramer

May 12, 2017

One Last Hoorah

Megs Malpani, Starboard Watch, Brown University

Marine Biodiversity & Conservation

Above: The squad at a mural depicting traditional Bermudian dancers in colorful costumes. Below: Me and Anna at Cooper’s Island.

32° 22.7’ N x 064° 40.9’ W

Docked at Penno’s Wharf, St. George, Bermuda

Souls on Board

What a beautiful last day in Port! Unfortunately, the ferry to the dockyard was canceled due to gale force winds (Force 8), so we had to improvise for the class field trip. Instead, Mark, gave us a quick walking tour of St. Georges, discussing its history of maritime culture. We learned about Bermuda’s role in trade and got to visit the St George’s museum (a world heritage site).

Before the field trip however, we all had a few hours to do project work. My team, team hydroids (Shannon, Maggie, Rachel and I), did 20 DNA extractions and a whole host of other molecular procedures including a gel, PCR, and PCR cleanup – we felt pretty accomplished. At this point, we have extracted the DNA of all the A. latecarinata samples we collected on the first leg which is super exciting!

In the afternoon we had the opportunity for a final exploration of the island. Matt, Anna, Ridge, Karrin, Rachel, Marie, Julian, and I decided to check out Coopers Island because we’d heard a few good things about it.

Though we missed a few buses to get there (since the schedule was not updated on the map we had), it was probably my favorite trip out of the entire port stop! Not only did the weather turn out to be beautiful and sunny (contrary to the forecast), but we also had the whole beach to ourselves. It was a rare sight in Bermuda; the beautiful beaches went on for miles with no souls alive other than our squad. We had an amazing time just walking around over hills from beach to beach.

We missed the bus again to try and get to the Swizzle Inn for dinner, so instead we decided to try The Wharf restaurant in St. Georges. Yago joined our group and we had a fabulous final dinner together. The restaurant had a beautiful ambiance with our table outside on the water, and the platter of delicious food beautifully presented.  After dinner we did a final run to YoCherry (the one frozen yoghurt store still open) for the last ice cream and bits of internet before heading out to sea tomorrow. Back on the boat by 2200, the day came full circle as I ended the night with more molecular work, finishing the hydroid DNA extractions.

- Megs

P.S. Dear Mom, Dad, & friends – thanks for reading this! Miss you guys a lot and can’t wait to see you soon! We’ll be in NYC in about a week and a half! I love you guys!

Previous entry: Gratitude    Next entry: Stanford@SEA: Hello Landlubbers!




Add a comment:

Notify me of follow-­up comments?

I would like SEA to keep me informed about news and opportunities.