The global ocean covers nearly three-quarters of Earth, yet 90% is largely unexplored. It provides half of the oxygen in the atmosphere, regulates the planet’s climate, and delivers food security for the world’s population. However, threats such as climate change, marine pollution, habitat loss, and overfishing jeopardize its health and sustainability.
Humans depend upon the ocean. The future of the ocean depends upon the next generation.
Sea Education Association (SEA) is an internationally recognized pioneer in undergraduate ocean education. Since 1971, we have educated over 8,000 ocean scholars, stewards, and leaders. Our SEA Semester programs are multidisciplinary learning communities that address the critical environmental issues of our time:
- Climate change
- Human impacts on the environment
- Environmental justice
Acknowledging that human actions underlie environmental change, SEA Semester programs approach these issues from a variety of disciplines including science, history, culture studies, and policy.
Why should your students consider studying abroad with SEA Semester?
Student-Centered Experiential Learning
- The sailing adventure of a lifetime grounded in academic coursework
- Cross-disciplinary living and learning communities to suit all majors
- Practical skill building in a collaborative, real-world environment
- Maximum student-teacher ratio of 8:1 on shore and 3:1 at sea
- A multidisciplinary approach to global scale issues
- Authentic research experience in a variety of disciplines
- A full-time faculty with complementary visiting faculty in specialized fields
- Transferable undergraduate credit from Boston University, our school of record
- Coursework that is designed to fit seamlessly into major, minor, or elective requirements
- Development of leadership, teamwork, problem solving, and communication skills
- "Ship-Shipmate-Self": awareness of one's responsibility within a given community, and the world
- Increased confidence, self-awareness, and self-reliance
Access more reasons why SEA Semester is an exceptional study abroad opportunity for your students.