This section provides current information on job opportunities at SEA. These listings will be updated periodically so please check back often.
Captains/Nautical Science Faculty Members
Sea Education Association (SEA), a non-profit educational institution, is seeking Captains/Nautical Science faculty members to teach nautical science and leadership on shore at SEA’s campus in Woods Hole, MA and serve as Master of our vessels, Corwith Cramer and Robert C. Seamans, in the waters of the North Atlantic, Mediterranean, Caribbean and Pacific. These positions are renewable appointments for nine months of work over a twelve-month period, involving approximately 16 weeks per year sea service with the remaining 23 weeks of work based in Woods Hole (Falmouth), MA.
Qualifications include an STCW II/2 Ocean Master 500 GT (ITC) or greater Management Level license valid on auxiliary sail vessels, demonstrated teaching, communication, and leadership skills, ability to work as collaborating members of an educational team, and strong organizational skills. BA or BS degree required, advanced degree preferred.
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2015 and continue until the positions are filled.
Salaries include a competitive benefits package. SEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Marine Environmental Scientist Faculty Position
Sea Education Association (SEA), invites applications for a permanent full-time 9-month faculty position at the assistant or associate professor level in Marine Environmental Sciences. We are a non-profit educational institution located in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, teaching innovative and rigorous oceanography and environmental science programs on our campus in Woods Hole, and aboard our state-of-the-art sailing research vessels, SSV Corwith Cramer and SSV Robert C. Seamans in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The undergraduate semester courses consist of intensive classroom instruction complemented by a 4-7 week research cruise to execute independent student research. Teaching responsibilities include two semester courses and selected seminar programs each year with up to 14 weeks at sea in the role of Chief Scientist. The position is based in Woods Hole (Falmouth), MA.
The successful candidate will pursue a professional agenda of innovative interdisciplinary teaching and excellent scholarship, and possess the desire to join and contribute to a deeply committed educational community. Successful applicants will be expected to teach courses on a variety of topics including oceanography, marine environmental history, climate change, biodiversity, marine biology, marine ecology, oceanographic methods, and also supervise independent research projects. A Ph.D. in a natural science is required with extensive field experience desired.
Salary includes a competitive benefits package. SEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Social Sciences Faculty Members
Sea Education Association (SEA), a non-profit educational institution located in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, invites applications for permanent full-time 9-month faculty positions at the assistant or associate professor levels in Social Sciences. SEA offers innovative undergraduate programs (SEA Semester®) which combine marine sciences, leadership training, history and policy in an interdisciplinary study of the ocean and its relation to society. We are seeking candidates who possess strong training in public policy and history and particularly welcome applicants with significant experiences or training in: Anthropology; Policy; History; Maritime History; and Atlantic, Caribbean, or Pacific Studies.
The successful candidates will have the desire to join and contribute to a deeply committed educational community and to pursue a professional agenda of innovative interdisciplinary teaching and excellent scholarship, working in a team with a marine scientist/oceanographer and nautical science instructor/licensed captain for 12 weeks on shore and at sea. A Ph.D. in a relevant field is required.
The positions are renewable appointments for nine months of work over a twelve-month period, involving approximately 14 weeks per year sea service with the remaining 25 weeks of work based in Woods Hole (Falmouth), MA.
Salaries include a competitive benefits package. SEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Title: Marketing Coordinator
Reports to: Dean of Admissions & Marketing
Start date: February 2015
Reporting to the Dean of Admissions & Marketing, the SEA Marketing Coordinator is responsible for raising the profile of SEA Semester® study abroad programs to our target undergraduate audience, as well as increasing the visibility of Sea Education Association as a whole. The primary goal of this position is to improve the brand recognition of SEA Semester via social media and online marketing, and to create new student targeted marketing initiatives in order to maximize SEA Semester enrollment.
The Marketing Coordinator’s primary responsibilities are to manage and ensure the consistency of SEA Semester’s online presence throughout various social media platforms, study abroad directories, and email campaigns; assist in the production process of all SEA print materials; write and submit press releases and other public promotional material as assigned; and work across all departments to ensure consistent language and branding. The Marketing Coordinator reports directly to the Dean of Admissions & Marketing but works collaboratively with SEA staff and faculty to support all outreach initiatives. This position is based on the SEA campus in Falmouth, Massachusetts.
- Implement and oversee SEA’s social media strategy across a variety of platforms including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo, and Vine. Compile and share reports to provide feedback and opportunities for improvement.
- Work with the Web & Publications Manager to coordinate and manage all online advertising initiatives through channels including but not limited to Facebook Ad Manager and Google Adwords.
- Maintain relationships with and content for all online program directories including but not limited to Abroad101.com, GoAbroad.com, and Terra Dotta Study Abroad Directory.
- Write, review, and edit all program listings on online program directories to ensure updated information and maximum exposure.
- Coordinate the distribution of e-newsletters and other print and digital student communications.
- Write and submit regular press releases on behalf of the organization.
- Research & produce content for SEA blog to accompany student-generated blogs from sea. Raise profile of blog by communicating all newsworthy events and updates.
- Use SEA’s content management system to update the website with marketing content.
- Analyze website traffic, leads, and conversions for all digital marketing channels and prepare reports and recommendations as needed.
- Investigate and recommend new marketing media technologies for SEA.
- Work with Web & Publications Manager to maintain professional relationships with SEA vendors including graphic designers, printers, and other vendors as needed to assist in the production and distribution of SEA’s print materials and promotional items across all departments.
- Maintain financial records for design, printing, production, mailing and other marketing costs; prepare payment requests on a timely basis.
- Research and recommend new print advertising opportunities.
- Oversee organization, cataloging, and maintenance of SEA’s photo collections.
- Oversee and manage inventory of SEA online store.
- Organize promotion and advertisement of on-campus and shipboard events.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent written communication skills demonstrating accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability and initiative to work both in a team-oriented environment and independently.
- Proficiency in social media use and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience with Facebook Power editor for implementing Facebook ad campaigns, including Right hand side, Desktop and Mobile newsfeed ads, Sponsored Stories, and Promoted Posts.
- Experience developing content for HTML emails to increase open, click-through, and conversion rates.
- Availability to work occasional nights and weekends to facilitate marketing related events.
- Familiarity with desktop publishing software, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, and Acrobat or similar program.
- Digital photography skills.
- Ability to remain current with changing use of various media for marketing and outreach purposes.
Other Desired Qualifications:
- Familiarity with SEA Semester.
- Personal study abroad experience and/or familiarity with the field of international education.
- Strong skills in HTML 5, content management systems, and search engine optimization.
- Ability to develop standards compliant HTML emails.
- Knowledge of the Expression Engine CMS, or other CMS, preferred but not required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits package.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a formal letter of interest, résumé, and list of three references to the attention of Katharine Enos, Dean of Admissions & Marketing, at email@example.com.
SEA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.