This section provides current information on job opportunities at SEA. These listings will be updated periodically so please check back often.
Sea Education Association announces a job opening in our Woods Hole, Massachusetts office.
Title: Development Associate
Start Date: August 2014
Works with the Director of Development to develop and implement strategies designed to meet SEA’s fundraising goals. This position assumes overall responsibility for the integrity of the information in the master database including the gift entry, gift acknowledgement and fund reporting process. This position also is responsible for prospect identification and research, and assists with donor stewardship and cultivation in support of overall development activities. For the right individual, this position has excellent growth potential.
- Works in consultation with the Director of Development to set fundraising goals and create overall plans to reach these goals.
- Manages Development Office software (presently Blackbaud) including: upgrades, staff training, any trouble-shooting with vendor.
- Monitors entire gift receipt and acknowledgement process including: receiving gifts, entering/verifying data, generating daily reports, generating receipts and custom acknowledgement letters, monitoring campaign pledges, issuing pledge reminders as necessary and maintaining gift files daily.
- Maintains and updates current prospect information in database. Uses research software to identify and then provide detailed information on prospects. Recommends strategies to cultivate prospects.
- Updates constituent records as needed to steward donors and reflect activities including attendance at scheduled meetings and at SEA events, trip reports, and correspondence. Manages special data entry projects as needed.
- Reconciles Development Office records with Business Office Manager on a month-end and year-end basis.
- Provides timely information to auditors when requested.
- Designs and generates fund reports for the Director of Development, the Alumni Relations Coordinator, and Business Office Manager on a monthly or weekly basis, as requested.
- Provides accurate donor lists for Annual Report and detailed reports as requested by the Director of Development.
- Writes solicitation and acknowledgment letters.
- Writes grant proposals when requested.
- Researches foundations.
- Provides support to the Development team for solicitation mailings and special events.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work comfortably with a variety of constituencies including trustees, staff, faculty and alumni.
- Discretion required.
- Must be able to work both cooperatively and independently within the development team.
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated, and diligent in pursuing information.
- Occasional weekend and evening work required.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of full-time Development related experience
- Solid word processing and database management skills required; working knowledge of fundraising software such as DonorPerfect Fundraising or Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge and Research Point a plus.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants should email a letter of interest, résumé, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Associate Search”. SEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
SEA has created ocean scholars, stewards, and leaders since 1971. SEA is an educational institution dedicated to the exploration, understanding, and stewardship of the oceans, and to the study of humanity's relationship with the oceans. Our SEA Semester® study abroad programs offer students an interdisciplinary curriculum, on shore and at sea aboard tall ships, that provides challenging voyages of scientific discovery, academic rigor, and personal growth.