This section provides current information on job opportunities at SEA. These listings will be updated periodically so please check back often.
Major Gifts Officer
Sea Education Association is an internationally recognized leader in undergraduate ocean education, creating ocean scholars, stewards and leaders since 1971. Through our flagship study abroad program SEA Semester, we equip motivated students to become environmentally literate leaders prepared to address the defining issue of the 21st century: the human impact on the environment. Our students are drawn from colleges and universities across the US and internationally. They study on our home campus in the oceanographic research community of Woods Hole, as well as on academic voyages of discovery in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans on one of our two research-equipped Sailing School Vessels, the Corwith Cramer and the Robert C. Seamans.
SEA seeks an experienced Major Gifts Officer to plan, coordinate, and implement the major donor program to meet SEA’s fundraising goals, including stewardship of donors and the identification and cultivation of prospects for the capital campaign and to broaden our donor base. Reporting to the President and working closely with the Director of Development, other development staff, and the Board of Directors, the Major Gifts Officer will play a leadership role in ensuring SEA’s continued growth and sustainability. The Major Gifts Officer will be based at SEA’s main campus location in beautiful Woods Hole, MA and will be responsible for frequent travel to meet with donors.
- Develop solicitation strategies for donors and prospects in support of the organization’s capital campaign, planned giving and other giving programs; ensure all SEA fundraising strategies are compatible and maximize opportunities with other existing campaigns and appeals
- Maintain and execute solicitation strategies for a portfolio of current donors and prospects, including face-to-face stewardship and cultivation meetings, as well as written strategies; ensure that each major donor has a clear strategy and timeline for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship (moves management)
- Facilitate and support the President’s donor relations and solicitation activities to secure major gifts
- Identify, engage and cultivate institutional prospects and prepare foundation and government grant proposals
- Develop strategy and supporting materials for the organization’s planned giving program
- Work with Development Associate on screening and preparing profiles of current and prospective donors
- With the Director of Development and other Development staff, design special campaign-related events targeted to current and prospective donors
- Participate in Development Department, Development Committee and Capital Campaign Steering Committee meetings
- Minimum five years of direct experience managing fundraising portfolios with demonstrated success in closing gifts of $10,000 and above
- Ability to conceive, plan and execute a major gifts program, including Moves Management
- Donor database experience essential, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Strong sense of fundraising ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally with volunteers, colleagues and donors; excellent writing skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize workload when faced with many deadlines and competing requirements
- Ability to travel extensively for donor and prospect visitation
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
SEA offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits commensurate with experience and skills. SEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer